Smokeless fire pits work using double-wall technology that utilizes an open-air cavity at the base, two walls around the burn pit, and holes at the rim. Oxygen enters the bottom of the fire pit to feed the flames, heats up, and rises between the two walls before exiting the vent holes. The hot air comes into contact with the smoke causing reburn, leading to the smokeless experience.
The best smokeless fire pit is the Breeo X Series 24 Smokeless Fire Pit. It features an alloy steel construction and comes in two corrosion-resistant finishes. Several accessories (sold separately) are available. The durable fire pit is ideal for permanent placement in a backyard fire ring.
The rest of this article explores the best smokeless fire pit, as well as three other options to help you make an informed decision about which one is right for you. Read on to learn more.
Best Overall: Breeo X Series 24 Smokeless Fire Pit
The Breeo X Series 24 Smokeless Fire Pit is a traditional fire pit measuring 27.5 inches (69.9 cm) in diameter and standing 14.75 inches (37.5 cm) tall. Construction consists of alloy steel and features two available finishes, including stainless or corten steel, both of which offer resistance to corrosion. The corten steel design starts with a metal blue-hued exterior, but after exposure to the outdoors and several burns, it develops a rust-colored patina coating.
What makes this fire pit the best is its large size, traditional style, durability, and the availability of different fire pit accessories (sold separately), including the SearPlate Griddle that’s compatible with all of Breeo’s X Series fire pits. The fire pit does not have an ash pan, but you can purchase a Breeo Ash Shovel to make cleaning easier.
Breeo fire pits are manufactured in the United States in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Great for permanent setups. If you have a stone wall set up, you can easily set the Breeo X Series 24 Smokeless Fire Pit in the center to create a beautiful, permanent fire pit. Just keep it covered and cleaned out.
- Other accessories available. Breeo offers several different accessories (sold separately) to complete your fire pit setup, including a griddle, lid, fire poker, protective base, and cover.
- Extremely durable, tank-like construction. The thick walls, heavy weight, and stainless steel construction make this fire pit a heavy-duty object, and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Heavy. The fire pit weighs 69.1 pounds, so it’s heavy to move around unless you have two people to move it at once, and it’s big and bulky. There aren’t handles to help with portability, and the weight makes it difficult to move.
- High price point. It’s more expensive than all the other smokeless fire pits on this list, and it comes at a hefty price, so it may not be the best option for those on a budget.
Most Aesthetic Option: Cuisinart Cleanburn Smokeless Fire Pit
The Cuisinart Cleanburn Smokeless Fire Pit is a bowl-style fire pit measuring 24 inches (60.9 cm) in diameter and 22 inches (55.8 cm) tall. It’s made of stainless and alloy steel and features a steel and stone finish designed to fit in with any backyard aesthetic.
Its unique, aesthetically pleasing appearance and ease of use are what make this fire pit one of our top picks. The bowl design is sleek and elegant and can make even the plainest spaces appear more sophisticated. With the flames going, the fire pit creates a pleasant, cheerful ambiance.
No assembly is required, and no tools are needed to start using the Cuisinart Cleanburn Smokeless Fire Pit. Once your package arrives, remove the parts, place the bowl on the base tray, and you’re ready to go!
Clean-up and storage are simple. The easy-clean, practical ash pan at the bottom holds coals, embers, and ash until they’re ready to dump them. After the fire pit cools off completely, just lift the bowl away from the base to empty the tray.
When it’s time to store the fire pit, everything bundles together nicely and doesn’t take up much space.
- Unique aesthetic. There aren’t many fire pits like this one on the market/
- Lightweight and portable. Weighing only 30 pounds (13.6 kg), the Cuisinart Cleanburn Smokeless Fire Pit features great portability, so it’s perfect for carrying to a campsite, the beach, or bringing along to a tailgating party.
- Burns pellets or logs. You needn’t pick up any special type of wood for this fire pit. It can burn pellets, chips, or standard wooden logs.
- Shallow depth. Because of the bowl-shaped design, the bottom of the fire pit is somewhat shallow, measuring around a foot (30.5 cm) in diameter. With a couple of standard-size logs, it can quickly become crowded, making it challenging to keep the fire beneath the vent holes along the rim.
- Short burn time. Because it can’t fit as much wood as other smokeless fire pits, it burns through wood rather quickly, so you’ll find yourself adding logs or pellets more often.
Best Economy Option: STBoo Smokeless Fire Pit
The STBoo Smokeless Fire Pit is a 20-inch (50.8 cm) diameter round fire pit. It features an iron construction, making it a durable unit.
This fire pit is smaller than others on this list, meaning you don’t have to deal with the bulkiness of a large fire pit to create a warm, cozy atmosphere. The STBoo Smokeless Fire Pit is made for wood pellets or chips, though some reviewers have had success burning small logs. Most fires burn for less than an hour, so it’s best for small fires and short burn times.
The ash collection tray at the bottom isn’t removable and requires manual dumping. Fortunately, the double handles along the side of the fire pit make it easy. Once the fire pit cools, access the handles to lift the unit, then dump the ash into a compost bin. Removing the ash after every burn is vital to maintaining proper airflow and a smokeless experience.
With this fire pit, you’ll also receive a waterproof carrying bag. This makes it easier to bring the fire pit with you, whether you’re camping, enjoying a fire on the beach, or just roasting marshmallows in your backyard.
- Lightweight. The STBoo Smokeless Fire Pit weighs only 30 pounds (13.6 kg), so it’s easy to move around for cleaning or storage.
- Portable. The double handles and carrying case make this fire pit incredibly portable, and its compact size allows it to fit in a car’s trunk with ease.
- Affordable price. This is the cheapest smokeless fire pit on the list, so you can enjoy the smokeless fire experience without breaking the bank.
- Short burn time. If you enjoy long fires or want a fire pit to extend your nights, then this isn’t the best fire pit for you. Burn times typically last between 30 and 40 minutes.
- Non-removable ash collection tray. Some people find the non-removable ash pan an inconvenience.
Best Portable Option: TIKI Brand 21.5 Inch Smokeless Portable Fire Pit
The TIKI Brand Smokeless Portable Fire Pit is a rectangular fire pit measuring 21.5 (54.6 cm) wide, 14.5 inches (36.8 cm) deep, and 16.7 inches (42.4 cm) tall. It’s constructed using stainless steel and metal and features a powder coating to protect it from the elements.
Its rectangular shape gives it a distinctive look compared to other fire pits on the market. It’s both sleek and stylish, and its small size makes it compact for easy portability and storage.
With the fire pit, you’ll receive a stand, cover, and a wood starter pack for a 30-minute burn. Ash clean-up is simple with the removable ash pan.
Weighing around 41 pounds (18.6 kg), the fire pit is an average weight, and the built-in handles make it easier to transport. It features a four-foot (1.2 m) burn radius, enough to heat several people at once.
- Rectangular shape. Unlike other fire pits on this list, the TIKI Brand Smokeless Portable Fire Pit features a unique rectangular design.
- Includes accessories. With the stand, you’ll also receive the stand, cover, and a wood kit to start your very first fire.
- Portable. With the built-in handles and rectangular shape, the fire pit is easy to move from place to place.
- Not ideal for large gatherings. The burn radius is excellent for small groups of 2 to 4 people, but large amounts of people may not feel the warmth of the fire without being very close. If you’re looking for a fire pit for a large group, this may not be the fire pit for you (unless you’re looking for ambiance versus heat).
- Regular logs produce smoke. The design works best with wood pellets, though some users have used small logs. However, because logs often produce fires that rise above the air holes, it produces smoke, whereas pellets produce little to none.
Smokeless fire pits provide the warm atmosphere and cozy ambiance of a campfire without the irritating smoke and overwhelming smell. The best way to choose a smokeless fire pit that works for you is to consider your needs regarding budget, design, burn times, burn radius, fuel (pellets, chips, or logs), and portability. With this information, you can easily find a fire pit that fits your needs and budget.